The tracking operations of active armed groups in Kalehe territory launched since last November by the FARDC Congolese Armed Forces continue to produce results.
Already at the end of last week, the FARDC announced that it had recorded the surrender of a large number of rebel elements of the CNRD group and their dependants, that is to say 183 fighters and 684 dependants.
According to Captain Dieudonné Kasereka, one of the spokespersons of the army in the region who gave us the information, these are the combatants and their dependants who are fleeing the operations carried out around the Kahuzi Biega National Park (PNKB) where these CNRD rebels were finding refuge. He confirmed that apart from this number already available, several others are surrendering given the power of the operations in progress in the area.
Dieudonné Kasereka adds that an operation to register these elements is underway in the Nyamunyunyi military camp in Kabare territory.
“Many of them were forced to lay down their arms and surrendered. To date, the army has already registered 183 combatants, and 684 dependants, but several more continue to come and the registration operation continues in Nyamunyunyi. Some people already registered at Nyamunyunyi include some CNRD executives, “said the army spokesman
The army spokesman also specifies that several munitions have been seized following this operation from the start, and congratulates the local civilian populations for their frank collaboration with the army, an attitude according to him, which facilitates the smooth running of the operations.
“Several weapons and ammunition have already been seized since the start of this operation on Tuesday, November 26. The army congratulates the people of Kalehe who are collaborating with the military in the search for these foreign rebels, “he said.
He asks the population to continue collaborating with his army determined to put an end to the phenomenon of armed groups in the east of the DRC.
Since the launch of so-called “large-scale operations” to track down and completely annihilate the armed groups that are spreading terror in eastern DRC, 60 soldiers have fallen on the battlefield.
The announcement was made on Saturday January 4, 2020 by the spokesman of the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo (FARDC), General-major Léon-Richard Kasonga Cibangu via a press release.
“The FARDC would like to recall that in the space of two months, 60 valiant combatants fell on the field of honour and 175 others were wounded. We are indignant at this gratuitous accusation likely to demoralise our troops and restore involved the heavy sacrifice made for the protection of the population, “he said.
To defeat the balkanization plan for the eastern part of the country, the FARDC notably called on the populations to dissociate themselves from the insurgents [armed groups note] and to fully support the army which spares no effort to protect and safeguard the integrity of the national territory “.
As a reminder, it was since October 30, 2019 in the city of Beni in North Kivu that the FARDC launched military operations of “large scale” against the armed groups still active in this part of the country.
To carry out these military operations which aim at the total annihilation of the armed groups, approximately 21,000 Congolese troops are engaged there. In particular that since the launch of these operations, the army has already recovered several enemy bastions in the territory of Beni.
In his message of greetings to the Nation on the occasion of the new year, the Head of State Félix Antoine Tshisekedi Tshilombo recalled that the restoration of peace in the DRC is at the top of his priorities for the year 2020.
- LEADER OF THE MAKABO GROUP ARRESTED - November 12, 2021
- COMMEMORATION OF THE 103RD ANNIVERSARY OF THE ARMISTICE - November 12, 2021
- THE SPECIAL ENVOY OF THE HEAD OF STATE, KITENGE YESU - June 5, 2021