Select Page

Democratic Republic of Congo Forums Real Life The 57th Anniversary of the Independence Reply To: The 57th Anniversary of the Independence

Congo
Keymaster

Everything has its time under the sun, “they say. Beginning on May 28, 2017, the process of identifying voters ended in Kinshasa on August 28, 2017. In an exclusive interview with La Prosperité, Carlos Mupili Kabyuma, President of the Kinshasa Civil Society and Christian Dynamics For the defense of Human Rights and the Environment, DCDHE, CN-CPI Kinshasa Focal Point and Researcher in International Law and Cyber ​​Law, read about the enrollment process in Kinshasa. He salutes the courage of the population and the willingness it had to obtain his voter’s card despite several technical weaknesses manifested by the CENI in his work. Having passed this test, it is time for the elections. Carlos Mupili remains convinced that the elections will take place in the DRC. However, beyond the date set out in the New Year’s Eve Agreement. And he motivated his position. Thus, it calls for a dialogue of the scholarly community which should present proposals to politicians. He also said that civil society and the forces working on the evaluation of the deadline to organize the elections. They will propose a pragmatic timetable with retrospective analysis that will take into account the true speed of the electoral process to check whether the next calendar of the CENI will be realistic or demagogic. Given the richness of his answers, read them in full in the following lines.

President, the enrolment of voters in Kinshasa ended, in principle, today, Monday, August 28, 2017. What reading can you do?

Carlos Mupili: Thank you for the opportunity. Mr. Journalist, the end of enrollment in Kinshasa leaves me with a very good impression. That of believing that the Kinois people wants the elections to sanction this mediocre political class, responsible for the misfortune of the Congolese since independence.

In my capacity as President of the Civil Society of Kinshasa, to see the discipline and patience observed among the populations of Kinshasa in the queue, without incident or mediated disorder, I understand that murderous street actions are truly The theatrical work of politicians who are afraid of voting penalties. And, therefore, they prefer to sell the blood of the naive Congolese as a file to run for posts in the Government.

However, it should be noted that the CENI presented weaknesses in this process following poor recruitment. This is linked, in particular, to clientelism. That is, some regimented members did not pass either the test or the training. Consequence, the slowness of the input operators. That did not allow enrollment even 15 people a day. We also condemn political parties that have not sent witnesses to registration centers.

President, at the pace where things go, the Congolese lose hope to choose their Representatives this year. In your opinion, is the election, by the end of December 2017, a myth or a reality?

Carlos Mupili: Without intending to discourage the Congolese people, I affirm that the organization of the elections at the end of 2017 is utopian. I come back to tell you that the Dialogue of the Interdiocesan Center, on which the Congolese people had hope, has failed. The reason is simple. The participants had not gone to think about either the electoral system and its funding, or even less about the electoral calendar. But they were there to discuss on the sharing of posts that the CENCO, accomplice of political hypocrisy, called “special arrangements”.

So I will say, without fear of being contradicted, that the projection adopted “no later than the end of December 2017” was not considered. All this happened because they had their heads elsewhere, in power.

As proof, those who are still calling the elections today are those who are not in the government or the CNSA. While those of Limete, who still shout out of jealousy and discontent, want yet another opportunity to dialogue to come to the Government. They always hide behind popular causes. Among them, I can quote, elections, democracy. But when they are in the manger, they will change the language. Those who are in the government and at the CNSA at the moment, they accused Matata of refusing to give the CEN the means to hold the elections. This, despite its many justifications for falling raw material prices. Today, they are there and nothing changes, except their language that changes camp. They went from insults to Kabila to flatteries in Kabila.

Today, strikes are everywhere with fatal consequences in hospitals. And no politician is concerned about that. What interests them is money and power, even at the cost of the blood of their militants.

” The wine is pulled, it must be drunk, ” they say. In your capacity as an actor of the Civil Society, what can be done to get out of this political crisis?

Carlos Mupili: I think we missed a very good opportunity for dialogue to reflect on the electoral impasse. I propose that next time, this forum should be entrusted to the scholarly community which should present proposals to politicians.

I inform you that the Civil Society forces forces, has been working for a month on the evaluation of the deadline that remains for us to organise the elections. So a pragmatic timeline with the retrospective analysis that will take into account the true speed of the electoral process to check whether the next CENI calendar will be realistic or demagogic. Thank you.